Pools




looking to other pools of water
for life 
for affirmation 
for significance
for meaning

from appearances to wealth 
from popularity to acceptance 
from qualifications to standing 
I’ve tried them all yet my soul was left with longing

then you reached out your hand, broke my misconceptions of what I always thought was just boring religion
You didn’t ask for anything in return
You took me as I was with all my pride, selfishness, shortcomings and insecurities 
You gave me a drink that satisfied and steadied the longing in my heart, instead of left me empty and drained

the other pools still look tempting at times 
at times I’ve dipped my toes in here and there or fully took a plunge 
yet was always left in the end with longing 
with an emptiness that couldn't be fully filled

yet You steady me 
You bring me peace when I should feel restless
You give me a new heart and a new life to live
You give me hope when things look dark and uncertain

so even in the moments when 85% of me begins to be filled with uncertainty, doubts or runs back to other pools in search of something I convince myself will be more satisfying 
the 15% left holds hope that there is new life in You 
the 15 % reminds me that these other pools will eventually leave me empty and longing
the 15% speaks louder and helps fix my eyes back on You 
the 15% reminds me of what is true
xx

 

Comments

Popular Posts