Viewing Homelessness Through a New Lens


From a very young age I remember being taught that those who are homeless should be avoided and ignored. I remember going on field trips in primary school and being warned about the beggars in the subway station. Don’t talk to them and don’t make eye contact, teachers would tell us. Understandably, they were only just trying to keep us safe but these words have shaped how I viewed those on the streets for most of my life. I would pass by them and rather than feel compassion, I would feel fear. I’m afraid to say that even on mission trips in years later that included homeless outreaches, I would find other things to do or I would keep my distance during the homeless outreaches. 
    As I got older, I would go into Philadelphia with friends and would watch as people passed by and ignored the people holding their torn coffee cups, standing off to the side or sitting on the ground. And I too, would just walk by but something didn’t feel quite right.
     I’ll admit that on my first official night on the streets in town with a homeless soup run in Dublin, I was pretty anxious. I remember when we walked over toward a man and asked him if he wanted a cuppa. I felt my heart jump and began to feel afraid as this man stood up and walked toward us. He said, “yea, tea please.” “D...do you want a sandwich?” I stupidly stammered out. “Yes please.” He said and smiled at me. I smiled back at him and unzipped the backpack I had hanging off my shoulder. I looked into his eyes. They were worn but kind. “Thanks so much love!” He said. “No problem!” I said. That night the fear I had of those on the streets began to slowly melt away.
     Over the past 2 years all my stereotypes of those on the streets have been completely altered and I see homelessness in a completely different light. Through bi-weekly homeless soup runs, I learned that homelessness is not an issue that can be easily solved or overcome. It’s not as simple as saying to someone, “go get a job and then you’ll be off the streets.” There are so many other factors involved such as addiction, mental health, family dynamics, and a legitimate housing crisis in some places.
  The soup run has softened my heart to those on the streets and has helped me see that there aren’t any easy answers. My heart has been broken by the number of people I’ve seen my age or even younger out on the streets. I have a new understanding that homelessness is not an issue that we should be turning blind eyes to just because it makes us uncomfortable as it used to make me for so many years. We should take that discomfort and face it. 
  Though it may seem too big to fight against, my time with the soup run team has taught me that even just being there, offering food and resources to drop-in centres, counseling or rehabilitation centres can make a difference. In every day life, small actions can make a difference. A smile, a “no sorry” to someone sitting on the ground asking for change if you don’t feel comfortable giving them money. Buying someone tea, coffee, food or a pack of sweets instead is also a good alternative if you don’t want to give someone money. While these smaller actions, may not chip away at the problem of homelessness these things can impact those who are on the streets in a positive way and are more valuable than I realised.
  I'm very thankful to have been able to be a part of one of the Dublin soup run teams. I have never seen a city as whole care so much about people who are homeless and have been encouraged by the multiple teams that go out on the evenings to help those out on the streets. I am excited to see how these teams will continue to impact those around them. 
  I hope to keep these things in mind here in Pennsylvania while I am here. Though I am now further away from the city and it’s much more difficult for me to just pop into the city, I hope that when I see someone on the streets whether in the city or just around the corner,  that I will see them in a new lens as well and that I will not be afraid to stop and ask if there is anything they need or even offer just a smile.

Comments

Popular Posts