A different roadmap

 Back in the 90’s before iPhones and Androids, my parents used something called a roadmap when we went on holiday. We hardly ever flew. Instead, we would pack up our mini-van and drive from state to state, making mini holidays out of one holiday as we stopped and stayed in hotels along the way. My parents didn’t know how to get from Pennsylvania to Vermont without a roadmap telling them where to turn or where the exits where that they should take to get off the highway. Sometimes in life we have our own roadmap we like to follow. A map we make for ourselves that tell us where to  turn to get to a destination we have for ourselves. Coming to Ireland full stop was never originally in the roadmap I had for myself nor was working with teenagers.
  I remember when I first heard that I was going to be a youth worker here. I couldn’t help but laugh. Prior to coming to Ireland, I volunteered as a youth leader in a youth group, and after 3 years decided it wasn’t for me. I had/still have a heart for teenagers-I cared about what they were facing and wanted to influence them positively, to help them see that they are important and that Jesus cares about them. I did well with small group discussions after talks but was rubbish at being bubbly and fun. I wasn’t the type of youth leader to grab a mic from the front of a room and get the kids hyped up. 
  This fact led me to decide that youth ministry wasn’t for me. Well, God certainly had something else in mind. When I got here I was told that I was going to be a youth worker for a Methodist church circuit on the Northside of Dublin for the next 2 years. “I’m sorry, what?” I remember thinking to myself. 
  I was kinda hoping I would work with older primary school kids in an after school club setting. Most of the kids I worked with as Therapy Staff Support in the years prior were in that age range and I did well with them. I connected with all the kids, even the ones that weren’t my clients. They listened to me, respected me and laughed with me. But time and time again, I found myself thrown in with teenagers from youth group, to Youth Alpha, to Innovista’s RISE programme. These things I said “yes” to, to God and people but initially had anxiety about despite my heart for youth. I discovered through these things though that I don’t need to be bubbly and outgoing to work with teenagers. 
   There is something equally valuable to listening, being patient, and just providing space to chat and ask questions about life and God. 
   And maybe, just maybe if you do have a heart for something maybe that is enough. Maybe you will find that God has equipped you to serve in that area, even though it may not be obvious to you at first. Maybe you’re just clinging too tightly to the roadmap in your hands, afraid to let God hand you the one He has in His. I’m so thankful that He took the roadmap I had for myself and gave me a different one. 
  I could go on and on about other things I’ve learned about God and myself these past 2 years but that’s a different post for another time. 

I hope you have a good week! 

Much love,
Amy 


Comments

Popular Posts