Mourning over Chipotle and Rita's

   Normally when I think of missions, I think of sacrifice. I think of Jim Elliot who went to Ecuador to reach the Huaorani people. I think of Amy Carmichael who left everything familiar behind and went to India and opened up an orphanage. I think of Hudson Taylor who went to China to share the Gospel. All these people have had to sacrifice much more than I have had to. All these people had more reasons to be afraid of where they were headed.
 I have learned that no matter where you go and no matter how excited you are to experience the things the country you are going to has to offer there is a grieving process and a transition process that isn't always easy. I have learned that sometimes as petty as it sounds, laying down your life doesn't mean literally going somewhere you may lose your life but it means giving up summer shorts and tank tops, Rita's, Chipotle, Taco Bell and Chic-fil-A.  It's accepting the fact that you won't have the freedom to get in your car whenever you want and drive around your favorite park. It's accepting the fact that you cannot date for a whole year. You have been single for a year before but somehow knowing that you really can't date at all for a year makes that year of not dating seem worse than it probably will be. It's the realization that you won't experience 80-90 degree weather for 2 years. I could go on and list more but I won't.
 It's silly little things but the realization that you won't have them does makes a difference and you learn that no matter how safe a country is, you still go through loss and you still do sacrifice. I have realized that it is okay to grieve over those things no matter how silly they may be.

If you're reading this and have ever had to make some type of major transition or have been in a similar boat as I am, I hope that this could bring you comfort in someway just by seeing you're not alone in what your facing. If you're diving into a long-term overseas commitment, know that it's okay to grieve the silly things.

I am grateful to all my family, friends and supporters who have been with me through this process as my deployment date draws closer. I really mean it when I say I couldn't do this without you. Thank you!

Have a great week,

Amy



Comments

Popular Posts