Whole World Outside Yourself

Every day another addict dies
Another victim has their life ripped away
Another loved one is lost,
by a neighborhood gun
by a fight at the park

It's so much; it burdens my heart
so many people, deeply hurting
walking around with no idea why they're breathing
so they take and they take
they do as they please

And I sit on the sofa
count all the casualties
I go about my day
I do as I please

Something tells me
This shouldn't be
I know I don't have all the connections
I don't have enough money
To rescue all the innocent lives taken in lands far away

But there's got to be something
Something I can do through Jesus
To help the numbers decrease
or at least share with them about him,
so they know why they breathe

I will not sit back and twiddle my thumbs
as another heroin addict in my town passes away
I will not read that article on Relevant
Say, "that's so awful" then move on to see if I have any notifications

I don't know what I'll do
I don't have all the answers
But I know I'm done sitting back,
keeping to myself,
as these numbers increase

So I'll pray for a way
I can do something more
And I'll ask the Lord to show me, where I should go from here

So use me Lord
I am Yours,
Use me how You want to
On my own, I will break
On my own, I will give up
But help me to dwell on you
Cling to You,
Love people each day
Remind me that there's a whole world outside myself.

Comments

Popular Posts