What Do I Know of Holy? 31 Days Covering the Art of Pursuing Holiness



Hey there, so I normally don’t join blogger communities but I thought it would be a good thing to try out. So I am joining up on this #Write31Days link up I heard about. I have learned the importance of writing everyday if you want to become a better writer so I thought that if I joined this community, it would be a good way to hold myself accountable to writing each day. The topic I will be digging into for my 31 days post will be holiness. 

For whatever reason the word, “holiness” may make a lot of people cringe. But what is it about holiness that makes believers and non-believers pause for a moment and feel uneasy? Is it the idea of giving things up that may not be bad in and of themselves? Is it the image of believers in your church who prided themselves in their holiness to the point that it made them unapproachable? We equate holiness with perfection which may be why it is a topic that so many of us wrestle through, myself included.

I recently began reading “the Hole in Our Holiness” by Kevin DeYoung and to be honest, I sometimes am a bit hesitant to pick it up in fear that I might become too much of a “holier than thou” type or might feel guilt that I don’t want to feel. I fear I may feel convicted to give up things I don’t want to give up. I think that we feel uneasy about holiness because we fear that if we live holy lives we might come off as being legalistic. I am learning though that holiness goes beyond a list of do’s and don’ts. Holiness is something that stirs in our hearts. It is obedience in our attitudes.

I don’t have it quite figured out. This is a process for me but I think that if we truly want to honor God with our lives, we do need to think about pursuing holiness and we need to dig into what it means when we are called in 1 Peter 1:16, to “Be holy because I am holy”.

Over this next month or so my posts will be digging into holiness and what it means to be holy. I hope that as you read what I’m learning that you too can be challenged and encouraged in your pursuit of holiness. 

-Amy 

Comments

Popular Posts