Passing By With Blinded Eyes

Every day I pass by people
Never really look into their eyes
Never really say, “hi”
My eyes stay glued to the phone in my hand
Or will drift off gazing out at the distant farm land

Though it’s in my comfort zone
To walk with my eyes this way
Something convicts me
That I should not let this habit stay

We were never meant to hold back on love
Because we were afraid of rejection
We were never called to build walls around us
So thick and tall-nearly impossible to break through

We were never called to let fears of what others think
Stop us from reaching out
Stop us from giving others a second look
Stop us from loving selflessly

Often I wonder what would happen
If I really put myself aside
Laid down my fear of rejection pride
And truly loved the way You ask me to

Because how can I say I’ll love the random person in the city nearby
If I can’t even look the kid from math class in the eye?
How can I say that I’ll go to distant lands and love whoever you bring into my path
If I can’t even stop and say hi to a friend
Or ask people more how they are really doing?

So give me fresh eyes
To see these faces You put in front of me each day
Cast out my fears
Let me be willing
Be willing to truly care
About these faces that I pass by blindly every day

Comments

Popular Posts