Everything?

Lately, I have really been challenged to literally let God be my "everything" . Be all that I need, the only place I find rest, the only One where I find complete peace and freedom.

Earlier, I was listening to the song "Be My Everything" By Tim Hughes. The lyrics are as follows:

God in my living
There in my breathing
God in my waking
God in my sleeping

God in my resting
There in my working
God in my thinking
God in my speaking

Be my everything
Be my everything
Be my everything
Be my everything
God in my hoping
There in my dreaming
God in my watching
God in my waiting

God in my laughing
There in my weeping
God in my hurting
God in my healing

Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
You are everything

Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
Be my everything


As I was listening to this song, I asked myself, "Is God my everything?" "Is He in my laughing, my crying, my healing, my dreaming?" Nope. Far from it actually. Because if I can be honest the second something in my world isn't "perfect" or close to it. I get all worked up and upset and feel like I need to fix it. Yet, I am learning, I CANNOT fix everything, and my world and myself is FAR from perfect. So what happens when God takes away this or that? Or there are uncertainities? Am I still at peace? Nope. I get worked up and worried and then BAM! In comes Satan with his lies that he likes to slam into my head over and over again. I stopped believing that God was in control.

And then ya know what God does, God doesn't give up. Even though I am listening to the lies more than the truth, God goes above and beyond to make sure I hear Him. And once that happens it hits me. I was not placing my security in the Lord. I was placing my security in all these other things-no wonder I was left feeling empty and hurting. I was focusing on the problems and the uncertainities more than God's power and might.

Once I realized this, I took my focus off of the problems, how I was going figure everything out and make my little world close to perfect. Instead I fixed my eyes on God, His faithfulness and power. I became at peace. I felt like I was lifted out of this dark place I had let my own insecurities take me to. A line that stands out the most to me in this song is "Christ in me the hope of glory". "CHRIST IN me the hope of glory" not just me the hope of glory, "CHRIST IN me". Because on my own there is nothing in me that has the power to overcome. There is nothing in me that has the power to endure and there is nothing in me that brings me peace.

Yet, IN HIM I can overcome, rest and be at peace. This is something I am still wrestling with but I am beginning to see more clearly. So recognize God's power, His might and His faithfulness. Find rest in Him and the fact that in Him we are made complete so we really don't need anything else and so what if not everything in your world is figured out or "close to perfect". I struggle to say those words, but I am beginning to see more that I need to daily strive to let God be my everything, with Him, I can strive to do so.

It's not a said and done thing either. I am learning that we need to constantly be on our guard for Satan's lies and constantly be asking God to help us to strive to let Him be our everything.

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. HE will not grow tired or weary, and HIS understanding no one can fathom. HE gives STRENGTH to the weary and increases power to the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint"
-Isaiah 40:28-31

Comments

Popular Posts