Defeat Your Biggest Critic



Take a moment and walk over to your mirror. Take a good look at the person facing you and say something nice to them. Then come back and finish reading this post.
            Before you could even begin to compliment yourself, you probably noticed the small zit on your face (which probably looked bigger to you than it actually is) or thought “yeesh, my nose is big”. Whether it’s about how we look, what we’re accomplishing, or how we’re being perceived, we are not very good at speaking positive truth to ourselves. We’re so wrapped up in “not enough” and “too much” that we miss out on who we really are and the good things we have to offer.  Although it’s in our nature to be our greatest critics, it does not have to be this way. We have a choice. We have a choice to listen to the lies and repeat them back to ourselves or allow ourselves to dwell on truth.
            Something that has helped me become less critical of myself over the years, is putting verses and quotes that inspire me around my room. When I read a verse that affirms the worth I have in Christ, it reminds me of how valuable I am. When I read a quote that inspires me to live a life that matters or points me to God rather than myself, it helps me remember that even if I may fall short at something, it’s okay because I am not responsible to hold the entire world on my shoulders.
            One of my favorites I have hanging in my room is one by C.S. Lewis. The canvas reads, “True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less”. I used to think that being humble meant thinking of yourself less or not acknowledging yourself. But as Lewis writes, humility is about thinking about yourself less altogether. It’s going through the day and thinking about how you can encourage someone else. Asking yourself questions like, how can you reflect Christ today? What can you learn about someone in your life today? helps take the focus off yourself. I’ve found that as I put focus on other things and people rather than myself, I oddly enough begin to think more positively about myself. Funny how that works eh?
            So as you go into the weekend and may be faced with discouragement or may find yourself wrapped up in “not enough” and “too much”, remember that you’re human, you’re not perfect but you have something to offer someone. You can make someone’s day simply by being there for them. You can encourage someone with your words or actions. You matter, and the person in the mirror who tells you otherwise, well they’re wrong. 

Some inspiring/encouraging quotes & verses for the wall: 
Our greatest glory is not in never failing but in rising up, every time we fail.-Ralph Waldo Emerson 
There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still-Corrie ten Boom

Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle-Jon Acuff

"For beautiful lips, speak kind words; For beautiful feet, bring the love of Jesus to others; For beautiful hands; use your talents to help those in need; For beautiful eyes; fix your eyes on Jesus”

Where you invest your love, you invest your life-Mumford & Sons 

Encourage one another and build one another up-1 Thessalonians 5:11

Eucharisteo- which means to give thanks 

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." -Isaiah 41:10

Keep your face always toward the sun and the shadows will fall behind you-Walt Whitman 

Promise me you'll always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.-A.A. Milne





Comments

Popular Posts