Come To Me

28 "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. 29 Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. 30 Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
-Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)

The other night, someone read this to me at a Bible study and it really reminded me of who I should run to. Tired? Check. Burned out on religion? Check. Placing heavy and ill-fitting things on myself? Check.

The thing I love about this passage is that it reminds me that God is chasing after me. Me?! While it is so important that we seek Him. It is also so important that we remember that He wants us to come to Him, walk with Him and learn from Him.

Something that stuck out to me was "walk with me-and work with me" and "you'll learn to live freely and lightly".
He knows that we don't know how to live freely on our own, we cannot live freely on our own. But He wants to teach us how we can live freely. How relieving is that?! We are not responsible to know how to be free on our own, God wants to show us what freedom is and He wants to guide us along the way. There is NOTHING we could ever do to make Him love us more or less. There is NOTHING we can do to gain freedom but walk with Him. It takes a lot of pressure off.

The thing is and I'm just processing this stuff, I think that so many times we feel like we need to impress God and gain His approval. We can get in this rut, and I know I do, where everything just becomes another thing to "check off". We feel like we have to maintain this image that pleases God to earn His love. When the reality is there is NOTHING we can do to earn His love. He already loves us and asks us to come to Him no matter what spot at life we may be in. He is always pursuing us, all we have to do is accept it and come to Him and be willing to learn from Him.

I hope that this is as encouraging to you as it has been to me. I'd also encourage you to read Matthew 11:28-30 and be reminded that God is calling out to YOU, you just need to respond to it, obey Him out of LOVE and not out of trying to be accepted by God, because He has already accepted you and know that He wants you to come to Him.

Comments

Popular Posts